There are some seniors who begin to neglect their overall appearance and their hygiene because of their declining mental health. There are some people who bring their aging parents to nursing homes so they can be properly cared for by caregivers. There are also some who take care of their own parents at home. They help their elderly parents and relatives maintain their hygiene.
Take note that this is going to take effort on your part. It will also take up a small portion of your time but if you want to do this for your parents to give back the type of care that they have given when you were younger, this is a good idea.
These are some things to remember:
- You can make some changes with your bathroom so that it will be easier to use by your aging parent or relative. There are some seniors who still do not want other people to go with them to the bathroom. If the elderly is not comfortable about being helped, you can install some bath safety items that will give extra protection. For example, a grab bar can be very helpful from the door of the bathroom towards the shower area or the tub. You should also place a bath mat on the shower floor or bathtub in order to prevent slips.
- Give the right personal hygiene products that the senior would need. Ask the senior what he/she prefers and you can get them based on whether they would be good for their skin or not. Some would recommend that lotions will be placed in the bedroom instead as the lotion may cause elders to slip if they would use that in the bathroom.
- Have a routine. You can establish when the bath is going to take place. You can also schedule a time when the elderly is going to dress up and just look good. For example, you can establish a schedule wherein Saturdays are meant to help your elderly parents meet the rest of the family. This is when you can help your elderly parents get ready to see other people. Women may be more meticulous about their appearance. Get one of these if in case the senior would like to have her hair styled efficiently.
- Always remember to treat the elderly with respect. One reason why they are not very keen on allowing other people to care for them is because they start to feel inadequate. They begin to feel that they cannot do things on their own anymore. You have to understand that they will feel self-conscious and aware of the time of the things that are happening. The best that you can do is to reassure them. You have to show them that you just want to help and you mean no harm.
- You can search for further improvements that will help you in making a senior more hygienic. It may not be easy but with proper scheduling, it is possible.
Remember that as a person grows old, the more that personal hygiene becomes more important. This is not something that should be neglected.